Friday, April 10, 2009

Not A Time to Wish

It's that time of the year where things get...crazy. I knew it would come, we all knew it would, and here it is, knocking on our front doors and there's no way out.

It's so incredible to me how fast time passes. Every year I think to myself that there's no possible way for a year to go by faster than the last, but, alas, I'm always disproved. The last few years I've been trying to teach myself how to be more grateful for the days I've been given to live and experience. I know that sounds cheesy and cliche, but, honestly, I can never truly see myself doing everything that I want to do in my life. There's so much to do and learn and experience and see and love and eat and touch and listen to that sometimes it gets a little overwhelming.

I think I'm the type of person that rarely takes the small things for granted. If I happen to be walking on the streets of DC and see a blossoming cherry tree, I feel lucky to be at that specific spot at that specific time. If I walk across a busy city street, look down, and see a squirrel running alongside with me, I laugh and feel happy that I had the chance to experience that interaction. Seeing and, more importantly, appreciating the little things is what makes my life so different than others that I know, and I wouldn't change it for a second. I love it.

That's why I've been trying to teach myself to never wish for time to go faster than it does. Even if I'm DYING to fly off to the warm sunny Caribbean beaches over Winter Break or sooo excited to turn that last final paper in, I don't ever WISH for time to speed up. I try to see each day as a small victory in seeing everything as simple and complete. Yes, complete. And simple.

My finals happen to be on the same day this semester (wooohooo April 29th) but I'm not wishing for that day to arrive any faster than normal so that I can "get it over with." I know that wishing really won't make time go by faster (we all know that) but what I've learned is that I don't WANT the time from now to then to seem any faster than usual. Wishing is useless and just makes you miss out on the small things. I'll never have another chance to live at this exact age or experience my life with this precise amount of knowledge. I'll keep learning and seeing my life differently; I'll keep changing and seeing things in a new viewpoint. And that's great. :)

No comments: